Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Baked Acorn Squash – You're So Going to Score

I know what you're probably thinking. I could have used this recipe a few weeks ago for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Well, it's actually not late, it's just super early for next year. You're welcome.

It's rare I enjoy a recipe for its looks more so than its taste. Don't get me wrong, I like how this tastes, but scoring the squash with a knife before baking really makes for a great presentation. It also allows the simple, but delicious glaze to penetrate nice and deep.

I'm not sure why I don't eat more squash. It's so nutritious, or at least that's what I'm led to believe, and I'm way too busy to search for evidence to the contrary. It also serves double-duty as a vegetable and a starch. This recipe, or something extremely close will be in the cookbook, so if you try it, let me know what you think. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
2 acorn squash
2 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne

24 comments:

Aaron De La Torre said...

Could you substitute butternut squash instead of acorn squash? I have never seen that here in Australia.

Chris K. said...

I am so going to try this.

Save the seeds! They are delicious when soaked in brine, toasted, and tossed with ground chipotle pepper and salt.

Chef John said...

yes, but cooking time will change depending on the size.

wetoilpaint said...

So pretty!I'll try the score next time I bake acorn squash!

Soulistic said...

Chef John ! Can you show us how properly prepare: Cajun Prime Ribeye ? I've eaten this dish at a restaurant and they've taken it off the menu ! I've attempted many times to do it myself, but I can't seem to get it right. The top glaze on it was perfectly cajun-y and slightly crisp while the center was tender. Something like that and my cooking terms aren't that great, but thanks in advance if you decide to do a how-to vid !

Also posted it on your yt video, but if I was a blogger, I wouldn't check yt comments (:

Healthy and Homemade said...

I'm going to try this tonight, but with butternut squash because I already have one! YUM! Hmmm, now what to pair it with? =/

Mayberry Magpie said...

I never watch food videos but I googled a recipe today and found you. I made your chicken breasts with Herbes de Provence and mushroom sauce and thought it was out of this world. Love your blog and love that you're spreading the food love for free.

I'm an amateur foodie and blogger and just wanted to say hello and thank you. I'd be delighted for you to stop by my neighborhood sometime.

Chef John said...

thanks!

Stacy said...

Yum, all my favorite flavors!

rosemary said...

You never cease to amaze me. I have been growing a lot since I met you. This year I have resolved to eat in moderation, more veggies, less meat. With this, I will actually enjoy my squash. OMG, you are soooo good! Its summer here, will use butternut or pumpkin. Thanx, u are the best!

Jessica L said...

Thanks for the simulation at the end Chef John! You're the best. :)

Winnie said...

looks delicious chef john! i have just been nuts about squash lately - i really love the natural flavor and texture of kabocha squash but there aren't many recipes online for this! any good recommendations for a healthy dish using kabocha? :) thanks :)

Chef John said...

try the red curry recipe i did with the butternut for the kabocha

Winnie said...

mm thanks! looks delicious ;) i will definitely give it a try.

making the maple acorn squash tomorrow night! :)

Winnie said...

mm thanks! looks delicious ;) i will definitely give it a try.

making the maple acorn squash tomorrow night! :)

Unknown said...

I'm not a big squash person, but I'd definitely give this a try!

YCCMG said...

This was Awesome!!!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I absolutely loved this recipe! Great video.

:)
ButterYum

Shugo said...

whats is a cayanne pepper?

Chef John said...

Ground hot red pepper

Ritsin said...

Do you serve an entire half per person? I'd hate to destroy the beauty of the preparation.

Chef John said...

Yes, half per!

domesticallyinept said...

Looks fabulous! Here in Ohio we pretty much live on squash in the winter. Never occurred to me to score it though! I will definitely try this!

Anonymous said...

thank you so much Chef John!