Tuesday, November 7, 2017

“Code Red” Cheese Spread and a Hot Pepper Challenge for ALS

I was halfway through production on this “code red” cheese spread, when I heard that Andrew from “Binging with Babish” had tagged me for his Hot Pepper Challenge for ALS. What are the odds? Anyway, I happily accepted his challenge, although, as you’ll see from this video, I took the coward’s way out, and used the almost already completed pepper spread, instead of eating whole chilies. I have some gastrointestinal issues that, while relatively minor, would make such an endeavor “problematic.” So, to make up for my good judgment, I donated a little extra, and hope you can do the same.

Above and beyond raising some funds for ALS research, this delicious spread is simple to make, and a real crowd-pleaser. Just ignore those initial complaints. As you’ll observe, people will literally be spreading more of this on their next cracker, while they tell you that it's too spicy. It isn't, and by the end of the party, they will agree. They may be sweating when they do, but they'll agree.

Here’s the link to Andrew’s video, where he shares the inspiration for the challenge, as well as heroically eats a habanero, AND a ghost pepper. It hurt just to watch. If you'd like to participate, the link is https://www.gofundme.com/alshotpepperchallenge. I really hope you give this great pepper spread, and hot pepper challenge a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for about 4 1/2 cups “Code Red” Cheese Spread:
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese
8 ounces fromage blanc, mascarpone, or just more cream cheese
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup sriracha hot sauce
2 tablespoons ghost pepper hot sauce, or to taste
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons hot smoked paprika
2 teaspoons chipotle pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne, plus more to taste
salt to taste

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What is the brand of the crumbly cream cheese? Also, you should try Alepo pepper

Unknown said...

Hi chef John
Can you please tell me where did you buy “fromage blanc”
I live near San Francisco. Thank you in advance

Unknown said...

On behalf of my brother who has ALS, thank you. Looks delicious!

Chris said...

Hi Chef John, Just to say, I love your vids, always watch as soon as I see a new one has been posted.
Disclaimer alert! this is not a criticism!
I love the way you say worcestershire sauce, it always makes me smile, but here in England (and I think we should know) it's more like "wooster" or "wuster" though mostly people just call it "Lea and Perrins"
Mind you, I much prefer the way you Americans say the work schedule, "SKedule" as opposed to the illogical way most Brits say "SHedule"
Regards,
Chris

Unknown said...

Chef John can you please upload a Romesco Sauce recipe one day? I would love to see your version.

Also, thank you for making me look like a pro in the kitchen for the past 12 years. Foodwishes fan for life.

XoXo

Jason said...

Just found your youtube channel about two weeks ago. Already made a few of your dishes. Brought in the Code Red dip to a pitch in at work and it is a hit. Thank you.

Tracy said...

Can not WAIT to try this recipe! May I ask the brand of flatbread style crackers you used? Looks like they are hardy enough to support that dip being spread on them. Thanks for all you do!